Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Better and worse

So I was thinking as my blog’s about being a wannabe novelist I really ought to say more about the writing process.
When I wrote the first draft of my novel I did it long hand, jotting it down in several smallish notepads on my way to and from work. Although my primary vocation is teaching, at the time I was doing some temporary office work. I’d already tried my hand at supply teaching for a year and a half and lost my enthusiasm for it.
The daily commute to the office was a great opportunity for me and one that I recommend you take full advantage of if you have it. Writing by hand has always been a preference of mine as it really frees you up when you’re not restricted by a keyboard and you can just scribble words and paragraphs out, draw arrows to rearrange sections and not have to worry about battery power or space around you. During my lunch breaks I trained myself to be able to dive straight back into my story, to pick up my pen and continue where I’d left off as if I’d never stopped.
It took me about nine months from 2009 to 2010 to complete the first rough draft and after that I left it for a long while as I was dreading having to type it all up because I knew it was going to be a very long process. In the end I had the idea to buy a headset and some dictation software to help me do the job and again that’s something I recommend if you’re not a very fast typer or if it takes you a while to decipher your own handwriting (mine gets pretty atrocious once I hit my stride). Most smart phones have something like that now but there are a number of software products for PCs and Macs. Dragonspeak is very good.

You know I really should have taken time out of work a long time ago to finish my book. As with the typing up stage I was really not looking forward to the editing process as I was expecting it to be a really tiresome job treading over old ground but actually, I’m really enjoying it. If I’d known it was going to be this much fun I would have done it a hell of a lot sooner. Currently I’m up to chapter eighteen and I’m pleased with the way it’s going. I still have a lot left but I’m getting more and more confident each day. I admit I struggle a little bit on Tuesday mornings but I soon find my strength and by the end of Friday afternoon I’m powering through it and looking forward to starting again next week.
As an update on my health, it hasn’t gotten any better. If anything, it seems to be getting worse but as long as I’ve got my painkillers it’s not a problem anymore while I’m working on my book. I felt a bit drowsy earlier, think it might be the combination of pills I’m taking.
I’ve been thinking more about getting back into my painting. I haven’t done much for a while and recently I’ve been feeling the urge to pick up my brushes. I went to the Other Art Fair over the weekend and seeing unsigned artists work on display really made me feel I should be doing my own stuff again. I really ought to get more involved in groups and societies as I need outside stimulation to get me motivated. I better get my book finished first though before I start dipping my fingers in another pie...
I’m glad the days are getting warmer; it’s really great to work in the kitchen with the back door open. It’s nice to be able to hang my clothes out on the line too, although my housemate is still drying hers on the radiator.

Two new things that I’ve discovered recently which makes being a grownup worth it...
1. Ice cream. When I was a kid it wasn’t that often that we got to have an ice cream from the van when the guy came round, but now as an adult, I can have one every day. Although I’m beginning to think the ice cream man is deliberately avoiding my road now...
2. Instant milkshake. Makes up for all the times I was told no when I saw it in the supermarket.

I'm thinking that I really need to get out more... (at least in the evenings)

No comments:

Post a Comment