Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Writing (finally)

So I finally got some real work done today. It's only been a week. Having wasted a lot of time being unable to sit down at my computer (or sit up on my bed), I figured out the answer - just double my dosage of painkillers. Pretty extreme I know, but the alternative is lying flat feeling sorry and angry with myself.

Last week I got my newest rejection from an agency I submitted to a couple of weeks before. I was lucky enough to be sat next to some of their employees on a train and after building up enough confidence to talk to them, I introduced myself and told them about my book. They were very kind and interested and gave me some contact info for me to send some of my writing in. I tried not to get my hopes up and remain realistic and not fall into the trap of thinking somehow that it was fate and that it was gonna be the lucky break that I could write about in my autobiography someday but you know how it is. Short story - they couldn't take it further, but they gave me some nice feedback and said they hoped I would get picked up by another agent sometime soon. Kind of a bummer though after the great opportunity I was presented with.

Anyway, today is a great improvement and though I didn't get that much done I am keen to do more tomorrow. I've got another appointment about my back so I'm gonna take my writing into the city and make full use of a distraction-free environment.

Managed to hobble into work yesterday on my crutch (I'm only working Mondays now). It was murder on the way home, fuck knows how any of those pirates got about. There are some good sides to having one though.

Pros:
You get to sit at the front of the bus without feeling guilty
People offer you their seats (even on the underground!)
You feel like a pirate
You always have a weapon to hand
It helps you to walk

Cons:
You feel like a twat
You still feel guilty if an elderly person gets on (I offered my seat, thank you very much)
You have to answer the same questions a million times

As a result of my latest rejection and a way to motivate myself, I've started publishing my book on Wattpad, chapter by chapter. You can read it at http://www.wattpad.com/44910955-that-one-eyed-bastard

No comments:

Post a Comment